Template:CCSS ELA Literacy RL9-10.4 I Can
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the cumulative impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone (e.g., how the language evokes a sense of time and place; how it sets a formal or informal tone).
- I can identify different literary text structures (e.g., narrative, poem, drama). (K)
- I can analyze a text and determine why an author chose to present his or her text using a particular structure. (R)
- I can analyze a text and determine why an author organized events in a particular order (e.g., parallel plot—two main characters have separate but related story lines that merge in the end). (R)
- I can analyze a text and determine how an author manipulates time (e.g., flashback). (R)
- I can analyze how an author's choice of text structure creates such effects as mystery, tension, or surprise. (R)