Template:CCSS ELA Literacy L11-12.4 I Can
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grades 11–12 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
- I can infer the meaning of unknown words using context clues. (R)
- I can recognize and define common affixes and roots. (K)
- I can break down unknown words into units of meaning to infer the definition of the unknown word. (S)
- I can use patterns of word changes to determine a word's meaning or part of speech. (S)
- I can verify my inferred meaning of an unknown word, its part of speech, its etymology, and/or its standard usage by consulting general and specialized reference materials. (K)