Template:CCSS ELA Literacy RL9-10.4 I Can
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in the text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the cumulative impact of specific word choices on meaning and tone (e.g., how the language evokes a sense of time and place; how it sets a formal or informal tone).
- I can define and identify various forms of figurative language. (K)
- I can distinguish between literal language and figurative language. (K)
- I can recognize the difference between denotative meanings and connotative meanings. (K)
- I can analyze why authors choose specific words to evoke a particular meaning or tone. (R)
- I can analyze how specific word choices build upon one another to create a cumulative impact on the overall meaning and tone of a text.